Tuesday, December 23, 2008

We made risotto







Lately I am obsessed with the recipes from NY Times "Recipes for Health" series. It highlights a certain food each week, often one that is commonly overlooked but has surprising nutritional value, and offers several recipes that feature it. I like it because when I am bored of cooking the same things all the time, it reminds me of something I've forgotten about. Or it just offers more creative ways of cooking seemingly boring staples (it has featured foods like potatoes, cabbage, etc.) Last week the focus was winter squash. Joey, Alena and I decided that the Risotto with Roasted Winter Squash would be the perfect antidote for a bitterly cold Saturday evening.

Here is the recipe: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/16/health/nutrition/16recipehealth.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

It was DELICIOUS. You cook the rice with a portion of the squash, so it melts into the risotto and makes the whole thing butternut-flavored. Some risottos use butter, but this just uses olive oil, vegetable broth, white wine and some Parmesan. Still tasted very rich and creamy. This was my first time making risotto--I'd always been intimidated. It's not difficult, but it does require a lot of attention (adding a little liquid, stirring, more liquid, stirring), so it's good for when you're not in a rush and feel like doing something a little more involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment