Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I made Kale and Ricotta Salata Salad (with Meyer Lemon dressing)



I recently made this salad and brought it to Laura's house to enjoy while celebrating her birthday! I had noticed it on the NY Times writer Kim Severson's website while perusing blogs a few days earlier and it sounded easy to make, healthy, and tasty.

And it was!


Kale and Ricotta Salata Salad

(Kim Severson said: I think I first saw a version of this in Gourmet magazine)

1 bunch of Tuscan (lacinato) kale
1 big shallot, chopped fine (I actually used 1 large clove of garlic, which was good too.)
Juice of a good-sized lemon (preferably Meyer), about 2 tablespoons
Salt and pepper
1/3 cup of olive oil, or more
1 cup ricotta salata, coarsely shredded (might be good with feta cheese too)
(Also: If your dressing tastes too lemony/acidic, like mine did at first, a drop or two of honey will balance it out really well.)

Directions:

1. Trim the leaves of the kale above where the stems become thick. Stack the leaves in a pile, roll them like a cigar, and slice it thin crosswise.






2. Whisk together the shallot, lemon juice, salt, and oil. Go light on salt until you taste the salad. The ricotta can be salty. Taste and add more oil if you like.



3. Toss the dressing with the kale and ricotta salata, taste and adjust seasoning, and serve.

Kim's Note: This is one of the few green salads I know that holds up well in the fridge. It’s great the next day, too.

Serves 4.



4 comments:

  1. thanks for posting this, alena! i wanted to eat that salad all week after laura's bday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks sylvie! I'm glad you liked it. I am definitely going to make it again too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just noticed this blog. Q re this dish: is it bitter? sweet? salty? what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Carly! I'd say it is definitely salty, and a tiny bit sweet from the meyer lemon. I think the meyer lemon is key, since regular lemons are much more sour. The kale itself is pretty mild (not bitter) especially once it has some time to marinate in the dressing.

    ReplyDelete