Friday, January 7, 2011

I Made a Chickpea-Quinoa Pilaf!

Happy New Year! It's been a while. A few minutes ago, as I was eating my leftover chickpea-quinoa pilaf from yesterday, I realized that this recipe was both simple and delicious so I thought I should share. Incidentally, I trying not to eat out that much this month since I just bought tickets to a cruise, so I'm planning on tons of cooking... Anyway, I had some quinoa lying around, and after looking through Veganomicon, I realized that I had everything I needed to make this hearty, protein-packed chickpea-quinoa pilaf (p.115-116):
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped finely (around 1 cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
In a small stock pot over medium heat, saute the onions in olive oil for about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed (I just used coriander??)
  • Several pinches of freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Add the tomato paste, coriander, cumin, black pepper, and salt; saute for another minute. (I added some cherry tomatoes from my garden, the last batch from summer...)
  • 1 cup quinoa
Add the quinoa and saute for 2 minutes.
  • 2 cups cooked for 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups vegetable broth or reconstituted bouillon
Add the chickpeas and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat to very low, and cook for 18 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water; stirr occasionally. Fluff with a fork and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment