Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I made Sweet Potato and Mushroom Quesadillas

The morning after Alena and Sarah made Acorn Squash quesadillas, Alena and I were at the gym, and she told me about them, and it was funny because that same night I had made SWEET POTATO QUESADILLAS. I guess the people of Brooklyn just had quesadillas on the brain...

Anyway, I'm apparently on an orange vegetable kick...I was thinking of making a sweet potato curry, but I had a very ripe avocado, and it didn't quite fit in with the curry idea. Sweet potato quesadillas are really easy, and you can put in whatever other vegetables you like/have around -- I had mushrooms, but regular potatoes, spinach, kale, red or poblano peppers all sound good to me. Tomatoes might be nice also.

recipe made for one (I ended up with some leftover filling):
corn/flour tortillas (I used corn)
1/2 red onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 large sweet potato, grated
5 mushrooms, sliced (I had cremini)
1 Tsp. tomato paste
salt and pepper, to taste
cumin
coriander
(I didn't have chile powder, but I would have used it if I had)
thin slices of cheese (I used cheddar)

optional garnishes: avocado, cilantro, hot sauce

Yep, I grated the sweet potatoes.

1. Add Tbs canola oil to pan over medium heat. When hot, saute onion and garlic until onion is browned. Add cumin and coriander.
2. Put tomato paste in the pan and saute a bit, mixing in with the onion and garlic.
3. When onion is browned to your liking, add mushrooms and sweet potato to the pan as well as salt and pepper. Cook until the sweet potato is tender and mushrooms are cooked. If needed, add some water to de-glaze the pan, as the sweet potato can stick.
4. When the sweet potato is done, add a small amount of oil to another frying pan and put in first tortilla. Put slices of cheese on it, add cilantro and avocado, if desired, and then sweet potato mixture. Cover with second tortilla and cook until cheese melts and bottom tortilla crisps up a bit. Flip it over, carefully, to brown the other side. Add hot sauce and enjoy!

This isn't the most exciting picture, but it was very tasty.
I ate two and had some leftover filling with some eggs the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment